I love making cookies with my little one! This recipe is so easy that they can help measuring, mixing and cutting the cookies. They will also love their taste!
This recipe was given to me by my maternal granddad. Yes, you’re reading well! This recipe is not from my mom or grandma. My grandma was the one spending a lot of time in the kitchen cooking meals but my granddad was in charge of desserts (I have to say he was a pastry chef).
This recipe is super simple, no fancy ingredients, no resting time in the fridge and doesn’t contain eggs! Great if you have a little one with egg allergy or if you simply ran out of eggs and don’t fell like going to the shops. Once cooked they stay soft. The good thing is you don’t need to use royal icing to decorate them (because royal icing can be a pain sometime!).
1 cup (240g) thickened or pure cream
1/2 cup (120g) sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups (280g) plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 160C (325F), (20C lower if fan-forced)
- In a bowl, mix the cream, sugar , salt and vanilla with a wooden spoon.
- Add the flour. Add the baking powder and baking soda on top of the flower and mix those dry ingredient together. (You can use a different bowl to mix the dry ingredients and then add it to the cream mix but I reckon it only makes an extra bowl to clean!)
- Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Use your hands to form a dough.
- On a floured bench, roll out the dough about 3 to 5mm thick. Make sure you use enough flour so the dough doesn’t stick to the bench.
- Cut the cookies using your favourite cutters and put on a baking sheet with a silicone mat or baking paper. You should fill about 2 or 3 baking sheets with this recipe. At this stage you can sprinkle 100’s & 1000’s or silver cachous on the cookies and slightly press them in.
- Bake one tray at the time for about 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are very lightly browned.
- As soon as the cookies are out of the oven, you can press chocolate chips (pointy side down) or M&ms into the cookies.
- Let cool for a few minutes on the tray and transfer onto a cooling rack.