Little miss loves play dough (read tearing into little pieces and leaving it everywhere!)
You can find cheap play dough in shops but we were going through 2 containers every month and I hate to waste plastic.
Here is my recipe for home made playing dough. There is only one ingredient you probably don’t have in your pantry: cream of tartar!
2 cups plain flour (280 g)
1 cup salt (240 g)
1 Tbsp cream of tartar (10g)
2 cups warm water (500 g)
2 Tbsp oil (28 g)
½ Tbsp vanilla extract (7 g)
Few drops of food colouring (gel or liquid)
1. In a large saucepan, whisk together the flour, salt and cream of tartar.
2. In a measuring cup, whisk together the water, oil, vanilla (or other essence) and the food colouring (if you want to have all the same colour, otherwise add the colouring once it’s cooked and cooled.)
3. Add the liquid to the flour mix. Whisk well until there is no big lumps. (1st photo)
4. Put the saucepan over a medium-high heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
5. The mixture will thicken and start to resemble mash potatoes. Continue to cook and stir until the dough pulls away from the saucepan. (2nd photo)
6. Test the play dough with your fingers (be careful it will be hot). The dough shouldn’t stick. If it sticks to your fingers cook it longer. (3rd photo)
7. Let the dough cool down in a bowl for about 10 minutes.
8. Store in an air tight container and have fun!